Tuesday, May 1, 2018

SAVAGE CINEMA'S COMING ATTRACTIONS FOR MAY 2018

And by Memorial Day, we shall see if the Force is with Ron Howard.

To me, it felt to be more than fitting when Ron Howard took over the directing chores for The latest self-contained and self-described "Star Wars Story," as he has indirectly been involved in the life of George Lucas' creation since the early 1970's when Howard starred in Lucas'"American Graffiti" (1973) and was told stories of Lucas' cinematic plans and schemes from the man himself. 

Even so, "Solo," the adventures of the young Han Solo, with Alden Ehrenreich taking over for the iconic Harrison Ford in the titular role set ten years before the events of the original 1977 film. Ever since Disney's acquisition of Lucasfilm, this has been the film I have been the most skeptical about as I have been fearing that it exists to serve as an excuse to continue mining the original trilogy without really offering anything new, and beyond that, all in service to a character, as iconic as he is,  who is not terribly deep anyway. But you know, each trailer I have seen has gotten me more excited, so I am hoping that it will be a success.

In addition to another tale set a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, and after having seen Wes Anderson's latest animated fantasia and the two very best features from the Marvel Comics universe, I am more than anxious to return to Earth for more grounded stories about real world characters and events.

"Tully" marks the third collaboration between Director Jason Reitman and Writer Diablo Cody and with Charlize Theron starring in a story of 21st century Motherhood and after the greatness of both "Juno" (2007) and "Young Adult" (2011), I am ready. 

Truth be told, life is more than full these days, not leaving me with much opportunity to see terribly much right now (or to even write a full tribute to filmmaker Milos Forman, who passed away last month), so these two films just may be all I can handle right now. But maybe I'll surprise both you and myself. We'll see...

...and I'll see you when the house lights go down!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment